mandag 22. desember 2014

Book Review: The Selection

Goodreads Synopsis:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My thoughts on the plot:
When I first heard of the Selection, it was being compared to the TV-show "The Bachelor", and I kind of thought, "meh, can that be any good?". But then I read the synopsis, and also the reviews from other readers, and I was intrigued. As I have also said before, Dystopian is one of my favourite genres out there. And this sounded like such an original take to a dystopian world. And I also have to admit, besides the fact that I did think the book sounded interesting, I was also drwan to the cover. It\s just gorgeous.

My thoughts on the characters:
I really like all three main characters in this book, America, Aspen and Maxon.
America is just such a great human being. She thinks about others, but she also manages to think about herself and what she wants. Even though the life she lives is hard, and she and her family doesn't have a lot of money, she is still able to stay positive and believe that everything will be alrigth. She doesn't care about how much money she has, as long as she will be able to be with her true love. I really like that about her.
Aspen and Maxon are both great guys. And I havne't been able to find a favourite between the two. Usually I can pick which one I want the main character to end up with. But with these to I haven't been able to choose.
Besides the main characters, there are other great people in the book. For instance America's little sister May. She is hilarious. I also like one of the other contestants competing with America, Marlee. She is such a cute person, and a good friend to America.
Obviously you also need a bitch in a book like this, and Celeste fills that role to a tee.

All in all:
I really enjoyed this book a whole lot, and I flew through it. The original plot made it very fun and exciting to read. Most of this book was about world bulding, and getting to know the characters and how the selection really worked. I always think the first books in dystopian series are so interesting because of the world building that usually takes place in these. Some action happened, but I am expecting that a lot more will happen in the next book.
The love drama in the book was also really good. As I mentioned with the characters, I could not choose my favourite between the two guys. And that is a good love triangle for me.
I cannot wait to get my hands on "The Elite" and get to continue on with the series. Hope it is as good as the first one.


I gave this book a 4.5 stars.
….
Elin

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar