søndag 3. august 2014

July Wrap Up - August TBR

July has come to an end, which means it is time to do a July wrap up, and an august to-be-read blog post.
In july I read 5 books in total, which I am pretty pleased with considering that some of the books were pretty long. I read 4 physical books, and listened to 1 book on audio.

The first book I listened to on audio, and that was Magyk by Angie Sage click here for synopsis

My thoughts:

This is a middle-grade book and it is the first book in the Septimus Heap series. I thought this book sounded fun, and it has been compared to Harry Potter, which is my all time favorite book series. I was in a mood to read a book that made me feel as I did with Harry Potter, but I'm sorry to say that this book disappointed a little.

In the beginning I was intrigued, but the further I got in to the book, the more it fell for me. It became a bit boring. I wanted more things to happen, and I felt they just got stuck doing the same things over and over again.
Some of the magic was creative, but I felt like there could have been done so much more.

The book was OK, but I will not continue on with this series. I ended up giving it:

The next book I read was Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margareth Stohl, click here for synopsis

My thoughts:

This is the third book in the Caster Chronicles series. I really enjoyed this book a lot, and I think this series has progressively gotten better and better.

It was really fast pace, and I felt like I flew through it.
I am not a big fan of the two main characters Lena and Ethan, but the series have a lot of other great characters to make up for that. Like Link, Ridley and Macon.

I will do a series review of the entire series, so therefore I won't write to much about this now.

In the end I gave this book:



Then naturally I continued on with Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margareth Stohl, synopsis here.

My thoughts:

This is the 4th and final book in the series. As I mentioned with "Beautiful Chaos" I will be doing a series review of these books, so I won't write to much about it here.

But I will say this last book is my favorite in the series. It was more adventurous than the previous books. And you also got to read from both Ethan and Lena's point of view, which actually made me like Lena a little bit better.

Another thing I will say about these books, is that what happened has been a bit obvious at times. You can kind of guess what will happen. But still, the books was very good.

I gave this book:


I then read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, synopsis here

My thoughts:

I finally picked up and started this series. It has been on my TBR list for quite some time, but I have been hesitant to pick it up because the other vampire books I've read I haven't been that impressed by. But I am glad I decided to pick it up, cause i LOVED it.

I just loved the concept, I thought it was original, and I like that it takes place in a school for vampires, that is something I haven't read about before. It was also interesting with all the different types off vampires and guardians, and the characters were great.
I like the relationship between Dimitri and Rose, and the fact that it is a forbidden love just makes it that much more interesting. I like when the love relationships in books doesn't come to easily, and they have to fight for it a little.

This book mostly focused on introducing the world these vampires live in, but a lot of the things that were revealed made you really want to continue on with the series and find out what it all means.

This book got from me:

The last book I read in July was Frostbite by Richelle Mead, synopsis here.

My thoughts:

This is the second book in the VA series. I did not love this book as much as the first one, but I still really, really enjoyed it.

You get introduced to the world outside the academy in this book, and it is a scary world for sure. A lot of stuff happened in this book, and I'm guessing this is only the beginning of all the bad things that are going to happen throughout this series.

The relationship between Dimitri and Rose hit an even bigger bump in the road, when another character was involved, and it created a love triangle. I am rooting for Dimitri and Rose, but as I've mentioned I like when the love in books doesn't happen instantly, and they have to work for it. It makes it that much more interesting.

The main character Rose is a really bad ass girl, which I like. The only thing I will say is I hope she doesn't continue on to be too much off a bad ass hero. Cause if she is the one who always sacrifice herself, or always make stupid but brave choices, it just makes the character a little bit unbelievable. She needs to show some vulnerable sides to herself, in my opinion. But as of right now I am digging her.

I gave this book:
Now on to my TBR list for august. This isn't going to be a list that is set in stone, because I may change my mind throughout the month. But these are the books that I am thinking about reading and that I am hoping to get through this month. 
I am gonna have 3 weeks of vacation from work in august, plus I am gonna participate in the Bout-of-books read a thon this month as well, so I am hoping to get through a good amount of books in august.

First of all I will be reading The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty. I am currently reading this book, and is about half way through it. Really liking it so far, and I will do a book review once I am finished with it.

Then I would like to finish the rest of the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. That means I am hoping to read Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice.
In between these books, and also if I finish the VA series, I would like to pick up some of the stand alone novels that I just hauled in my July Book Haul HERE.

Hopefully August will be a great reading month for me, with a lot of time to read, and a lot of good books to read :)

….
Elin


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar